Social transition cannot lawfully be accommodated in schools

Steps involved in “social transition”Is it lawful?Are schools required to do it?What else should schools consider?
Recording a child on the register as the opposite sexNo. Schools are required, by law, to record sex in pupil records.
Requiring that teachers and other pupils act as if a child has changed sexNo. Other people have rights.

It is not consistent with safeguarding.
Admitting a child to a single-sex school of the opposite sex, on the basis of gender identity For maintained schools this would contravene the Admissions Code.No. The Equality Act does not require this.Admitting a child as if they are the opposite sex would infringe other children’s rights.
Fulfilling a child’s request to change the name they are known by for day-to-day purposesYes. Schools may record “known by” names in addition to the child’s actual name.No. There is no statutory requirement to do this.Parents have a right to information a school holds on their child (except where disclosure might cause serious harm to the pupil’s health).
Allowing a child to use opposite-sex facilitiesNo. Schools are required to provide separate-sex facilities.No.
Allowing a child to play in opposite-sex sportsNot explicitly unlawful. But could discriminate against other pupils, and risk health and safety.No.It is not a decision that is sustainable as a child and their cohort grow up.
Allowing a child to disregard other sex-based rules (such as uniform)Not explicitly unlawful. But schools should not have unnecessary sex-based rules.No.